Effective January 1, 2021, Amerigroup Community Care will offer coverage to CoverKids-eligible children. The Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) is a federally sponsored program that provides health insurance to uninsured children in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. In Tennessee, this program is called CoverKids.
CoverKids offers free health coverage for pregnant women and free or low cost health coverage for children who don’t have insurance and who don’t qualify for TennCare. Preventive health care is free! Sick visits and medication have low copays. Children age 18 and under also get dental and vision benefits, and pregnant women get prenatal, delivery and postpartum care.
CoverKids provides comprehensive health insurance through the following health care services:
- Vaccinations and well-child visits
- Physician services
- Mental health services
- Physical, speech and occupational therapy
- Children also get vision and dental care
- CoverKids includes enrollees between ages 0 and 10 and of families with includes at or below 250% of the federal poverty level (FPL)
- CoverKids also includes pregnant mothers of unborn eligible children, who do not qualify for TennCare but meet the condition of Group One Children or Group Two Children